September is here and Crested Butte is as good as ever! While the leaves start changing more toward the middle to end of the month, the first part of September is still chock-full of events.
Here’s some things to do in Crested Butte during the first half of September:
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort Lift Rides – The Silver Queen Lift remains open for hikers and sight-seers until September 13th. The hours are from 9:30 until 5 pm. Red Lady Express is open from 9:30 am until 2:30 pm also through September 13th. But, then it remains open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm through September 27th.
- Farmers Market (every Sunday) – The Farmer’s Market is at its peak right now with harvest season among us. You will find it on the west end of Elk Avenue from 10:00 AM – 02:00 PM until October 4th.
- GORE-TEX Grand Traverse Mountain Run and Bike (Sept. 5-6) – The skiing version of the Grand Traverse got so popular, they decided to have a summer version of this race open to runners and mountain bikers alike. This running race happens on Sept. 5th and follows the skiing course fairly closely, crossing over both Star Pass, Taylor Pass, and Richmond Ridge into Aspen. The mountain biking version follows the same route in reverse, leaving from Aspen on Sept. 6th.
- West Elk Bicycle Classic (Sept. 6) – Put on by Dave Wiens, famed Gunnison athlete and director of WSCU’s Mountain Sports Team, this 134-mile timed road tour has become a fun event in recent years. All proceeds from the West Elk Bicycle Classic benefit the Mountain Sports program at Western
- Chili & Beer Festival (Sept. 12) – Hard to believe that this event is in its 16th year! Try out some of the best beers in Colorado and get to taste a fantastic sampling of chili too, all while listening to live music! The Chili & Beer Festival is held at the base area of Crested Butte Mountain Resort from 12:00 PM – 05:00 PM.
- Pearl Pass Bike Tour (Sept 12th) – This event began 39 years ago, before “mountain biking” really existed. A group of Crested Butte locals rode their “klunkers” over Pearl Pass to Aspen. The historic story is told by the Crested Butte Museum. Join in re-enacting this historic event by participating in this organized ride.
Latter September is also jam-packed with events like Vinotok, the Crested Butte Film Festival, and much more!
September in Crested Butte is fabulous! We are looking forward to your visit! And when you come to enjoy the events, scenery, and mountain lifestyle, please consider staying with us here at the Elk Mountain Lodge!